9.29.2008

voting

I registered to vote the day after my 18th birthday. (that was almost 3 years ago) Honestly I have only voted once since then. But, considering the fact that I am Black, and a woman... I think too many people have fought and died for me to have that right and I not exercise it. I was talking with my cousin about voting the other day... He was like "no, i'm not gonnna vote... my vote doesnt matter anyway..." stuff like that. ANYWHO it started me to thinking about those people who made sure that I would have the right to vote, and I realized.... We are minutes away from haveing a Black president. And this guy doesnt even have the right to vote.... He has the privelage, as a Black man to vote right now, (Voting Rights Act, 1965) but in a matter of years that could be taken away. Now I on the other hand being a woman, am ensured that right and don't have to worry about anyone taking it away from me.

Also, you know they are going to try to stop us in any way possible from getting him into that office. I recieved an email warning not to wear Obama buttons, shirts, hats, etc... when going out to your polling places on Election Day. Apparantly its against the law to campaingn within so many feet of these places. They are gonna really be enforcing that this year, I'm sure. So, now the blacks have gotten someone this close, if not into, the Oval Office. What's next... Hispanics. You know they are really gonna try to stop that. I'm sure that when the time comes its gonna be just like when WE were first trying to register to/ and vote. They're gonna be guessing how manygumballs are in the damn jar. lol. No but really mark my word you know what they're gonna do when they see too many Hispanic surnames on voter registration papers. All of a sudden we're gonna have to show proof of citizenship, residency, etc, etc, etc...

They will do anything to try and keep us down. Don't get me wrong though.. I'm not the type that's all "the white man is the reason for everything that's wrong with me". A lot of things we (Blacks) are dealing with, we deal with because we have put up with it. When Asians come here what do they do? Set up Chinatowns... Italians? Little Italy... Hispanics? Little Mexico.... Now, I know we didn't exactly come here on vacation or whatever. But we, as a people, could take some initiative and help our own communities flourish.